Chords2Cure is a non-profit organization benefiting pediatric cancer research. Chords2Cure was created by a few compassionate Crossroads School students and their families when their friend, Jaxon Blumenthal (now 14 years old) was diagnosed with hepatoblastoma (liver cancer) in 2013. Jaxon underwent 6 grueling rounds of chemotherapy, a liver transplant and a lung resection. During the course of his treatment, he met fellow cancer warrior, Mafalda von Alvensleben, who was diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma (bone cancer). Over the course of nine months, Mafalda was treated with 17 rounds of chemotherapy, 20 days of radiation, and a femur bone replacement surgery. Jax and Mafalda became fast friends and quickly realized they had three things in common; their love for music, they both attended the same school and both were being treated by the same oncologist, Dr. Noah Federman at UCLA.
One of Chords2Cure founders, Juliette Pegula (now 15 years old and also attends Crossroads School) was determined to make a difference for kids like Jax and Mafalda, after realizing pediatric cancer research only receives 4% of all government funds for cancer research; leaving 96% funding for adult cancers. Both Jaxon and Mafalda’s cancer treatments they received were over 30 years old. There has been NO new chemotherapy drugs or treatments for either of their cancers in over thirty years. That’s astonishing!
Juliette knew in her heart she needed to do something, so together with a few friends, parents, numerous talented student musicians and dozens of hardworking volunteers, Chords2Cure was born! Chords2Cure has produced two fantastic concerts featuring talented musicians from Crossroads School and a few incredible guests like Chris Shiflett from the Foo Fighters and Chris Martin from Coldplay.